Civil Rights Violation Lawyers in Los Angeles
Fighting for Clients in the Greater Los Angeles Area
California state and federal civil rights laws prohibit discrimination against any person on the basis of, among other things, the person’s race, gender, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, or perceived disability. Discrimination or interference with a person’s civil rights by another gives rise to an action for damages against the offending party.
Some examples of the rights protected by law include:
- The freedom of speech, press, and assembly
- The right to vote
- Freedom from involuntary servitude
- The right to equality in public places
- The right to full and equal accommodations, privileges, and services in all business establishments
There are several state and federal laws that protect individuals against discrimination. These laws include:
- Civil Rights and Discrimination Laws
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- The Unruh Civil Rights Act
- Tom Bane Civil Rights Act
- The Ralph Act
- Equal Pay Act
- Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA)
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
A person who was the victim of discrimination may be entitled to recover actual and compensatory damages, punitive damages, civil penalties, and injunctive relief. In addition, a victim who prevails in court may be entitled to an award of reasonable costs and attorney fees.
Contact Kaplan Weiss if you believe you may be a victim of discrimination. We are experienced in handling discrimination cases and can take your case on a contingency basis.
What Types of Civil Rights Cases Does Your Firm Typically Handle?
Civil rights law is a body of federal, state, and local laws that protect important and fundamental rights of equality and freedom from discrimination. Some of the cases our firm handles involve the Unruh Civil Rights Act, Section 1981.
To speak with our civil rights violation attorneys in Los Angeles, call (213) 652-5827 or send us a message today.
Employee or Independent Contractor? California’s New “ABC” Test Read Blog
Expansion of the California Equal Pay Act Read Blog
Los Angeles Mandates Minimum Wage Increase and Paid Sick Leave Read Blog
Court Reinstates NFL’s Four-Game Suspension of Tom Brady Read Blog
Changes to California Equal Pay Act Read Blog
Federal Court Vacates Tom Brady’s Four-Game Suspension by NFL Read Blog